Almost every year, I come to same conclusion:
I spend a lot of time working on projects outside my area of specialty, and not enough time focused on what actually makes me money.
This year was no different. For a range of clients, I wandered off my path many times to provide important but less familiar services like SEO, social media, search advertising, marketing automation and remarketing.
These weren’t wasted exercises. I learned a lot, my clients benefited and I fully expect to use these services again with less of a learning curve.
Also, when giving marketing advice, I like having a working knowledge on many marketing activities. I don’t want to try to “sell” one specific marketing activity. I like being able to view all activities on the merits and to provide clients with real advice.
Back to basics
But when I look at my projects, I can see very quickly that the vast majority of my income still comes from copywriting.
It may be copywriting for direct mail, email, websites, collateral or content marketing.
It may be copywriting for lead generation, lead nurturing, direct selling, customer renewals or even fundraising.
It may be copywriting along with graphic design, web design, printing or email execution.
But copywriting is most often at the center of these services. And sometimes I forget to promote that service.
FREE Copywriting Information Kit
If you use freelance copywriters – or need copywriting as part of a larger project – download my Copywriting Information Kit and let’s get acquainted.
In this Information Kit, I’ve put everything you might want to see into one packet. I’ve provided:
- An overview of my services
- Typical projects
- A list of clients and projects
- A portfolio of samples
- Pricing for each type of project
- Additional information on the process
Written by Bob McCarthy
Download my FREE report, Creating a Direct Response Offer.
Join my list and get my newsletter.
Bob McCarthy is a direct marketing and online copywriter, creative director and consultant.
- A High-Wire Act for Today’s Marketers - January 28, 2021
- Is it content – or just copy? - May 26, 2020
- How you can – and why you should – use your website to teach - May 12, 2020
- How to Generate Qualified Leads with Lead Surveys - March 1, 2020
- Gaps in your Email Schedule – and how to avoid them - September 4, 2019
- The Dizzying World of Letter Mail - July 22, 2019
- Do you have an Information Kit? - June 25, 2019
- Direct Mail and Those Pesky Millennials - November 8, 2017
- Landing Pages: Do you need a squeeze page or sales page – or both? - May 31, 2017
- Do you have the patience for content and inbound marketing? - May 6, 2017